Hello!

I thoght about it for a while: In lots of new un*x softwares there's
support for 'gettext' (it allows the user to have an interface for the
program in HIS language, or more correct: in his $LANGUAGE variable).

I translated downloader for X to hebrew, you can see this in the latest
version, but then I thought- is it worthy at all ?
1. It requires the user to choose a hebrew font, in some programs (like
this downloader) there's no such an option, so he should change it in his
gtk config (~/.gtkrc). Now, I think that most of the Israeli users get
these programs from .rpm files that came with the distro. They'll probably
see jibrish, and stop using this program, or in the good case, they'll ask
for help how to change it to english (remove $LANGUAGE from the
env. vars), or in the best case- check out how to change to hebrew
fonts. anyway- that can sometimes just make a headache to the user, which
wasn't my main objective :)

2. Heberw interface - is it needed at all ? I heard of some people which
dislikes the hebrew kde interface, or like other people (i.e- me), that
install only windoze enabled and not the hebrew windoze. Maybe it's a
waste of time to translate these, although I see in lots of programs
support for other languages like japanese, dutch, desutsch, italian,
etc. Maybe people here are not that patriots, and like english
more than
hebrew.

3. Logical: Is it worthy to translate all this, while in the next
year(s) (I really hope so) gtk will include pango and will support logical
hebrew, so all this translation will be lost ?

-----
If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
In my opinion - it looks great - check out
http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png

Cya,
Oren.