Hello Tzafrir!

[...]

> In the case of gtk, there is a patch (which is aplied in Mandrake since at
> least 7.0 . I think it was also accepted into the main gnome distro) to
> have language-spesific config files: /etc/gtk/gtkrc.$LANG
> This file could be used to set the default font as a hebrew one. The only
> problem is that there is no standard name for a hebrew font.
So we can maybe ask mandrake to make a default font in gtkrc.he, a font
which they supply with mandrake ? (I guess they supply some, don't they
?).

> > 2. Heberw interface - is it needed at all ? I heard of some people which
> > dislikes the hebrew kde interface, or like other people (i.e- me), that
> > install only windoze enabled and not the hebrew windoze. Maybe it's a
> > waste of time to translate these, although I see in lots of programs
> > support for other languages like japanese, dutch, desutsch, italian,
> > etc. Maybe people here are not that patriots, and like english
> > more than
> > hebrew.
> if you don't want the hebrew user interface: set LC_MESSAGES to "C" (and
> make sure you don't have LC_ALL set to "he"). No need for a special
> "hebrew" build.
Sure it's possible (Though I didn't know that way, thanks :) ). The
question is how important it is to translate programs to hebrew.

> Many people find a hebrew user interface more "friendly" and "familiar".
Me too. I feel more at home :)

> > 3. Logical: Is it worthy to translate all this, while in the next
> > year(s) (I really hope so) gtk will include pango and will support logical
> > hebrew, so all this translation will be lost ?
> Not only that, but there is some damage in the fact that this translation
> will be "unredable" (reversed) then.
That's exactly what I was talking about.

> But I figure a script will be able to do at least most of the conversion.
good.

> However, I feel that the majority of the work is about the translation of
> the terminology.
Yeah..

> > -----
> > If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
> > programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
>
> Don't forget that as a translator you are also expected to maintain your
> translation, as the user interface strings change.
>
> > In my opinion - it looks great - check out
> > http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png
>
> There are better fonts than "fixed"...
>
> BTW: why did you underline Shin in "Shmor Reshima"?
> Have you changed the keyboard accelerator for this menu item?
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen
> However, I feel that the majority of the work is about the translation of
> the terminology.
Yeah..

> > -----
> > If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
> > programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
>
> Don't forget that as a translator you are also expected to maintain your
> translation, as the user interface strings change.
>
> > In my opinion - it looks great - check out
> > http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png
>
> There are better fonts than "fixed"...
>
> BTW: why did you underline Shin in "Shmor Reshima"?
> Have you changed the keyboard accelerator for this menu item?
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen
> However, I feel that the majority of the work is about the translation of
> the terminology.
Yeah..

> > -----
> > If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
> > programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
>
> Don't forget that as a translator you are also expected to maintain your
> translation, as the user interface strings change.
>
> > In my opinion - it looks great - check out
> > http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png
>
> There are better fonts than "fixed"...
>
> BTW: why did you underline Shin in "Shmor Reshima"?
> Have you changed the keyboard accelerator for this menu item?
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen
> However, I feel that the majority of the work is about the translation of
> the terminology.
Yeah..

> > -----
> > If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
> > programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
>
> Don't forget that as a translator you are also expected to maintain your
> translation, as the user interface strings change.
>
> > In my opinion - it looks great - check out
> > http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png
>
> There are better fonts than "fixed"...
>
> BTW: why did you underline Shin in "Shmor Reshima"?
> Have you changed the keyboard accelerator for this menu item?
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen
> However, I feel that the majority of the work is about the translation of
> the terminology.
Yeah..

> > -----
> > If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
> > programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
>
> Don't forget that as a translator you are also expected to maintain your
> translation, as the user interface strings change.
>
> > In my opinion - it looks great - check out
> > http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png
>
> There are better fonts than "fixed"...
>
> BTW: why did you underline Shin in "Shmor Reshima"?
> Have you changed the keyboard accelerator for this menu item?
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen
> However, I feel that the majority of the work is about the translation of
> the terminology.
Yeah..

> > -----
> > If you believe it's still worthy, I have no problem to translate some
> > programs to hebrew from time to time. but i'm not too sure about it.
>
> Don't forget that as a translator you are also expected to maintain your
> translation, as the user interface strings change.
>
> > In my opinion - it looks great - check out
> > http://www.deot.net/dl-hebrew.png
>
> There are better fonts than "fixed"...
I know. that was a long time ago, when I still didn't use these.

> BTW: why did you underline Shin in "Shmor Reshima"?
> Have you changed the keyboard accelerator for this menu item?
It's done automatticly. I guess that when GTK feels bla&h it makes 'h' as
the keyboard shortcut. so when it's replaced by gettext with <damn, can't
type hebrew in pico for some reason! weird. it used to work> some hebrew
word, it'll also work.

Cya,
Oren.