----- Original Message -----
From: "Tzafrir Cohen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Is it 2.4.3 too or 2.2.19? (I know the standard kernel of 8.0 is 2.4.3;
> > This question is about the "kernel secure" option).
>
> Every kernel package has the version number on it, so you can check such a
> think simply in the file listing of some mandrake mirror, or in
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html
>

> OK. I looked at the file listing. There is no "secure" kernel for 2.4
> You can use the 2.2 kernel (I have no idea if the installer asks you about
> this, though).

No, the Installer doesn't ask which kernel version to use (it uses 2.4.3 by
default), but I haven't tried installing in "High security" mode. I think
that most (if not all) of the patches that mandrake had put in for the 2.2
kernel are unneeded for 2.4.3, so the obvious conclusion would be (if I'm
right) - that you only need the "Secure" kernel if you'r going to use a 2.2
kernel (which is quite alright where Mandrake is concerned - you can use a
stable and proven kernel instead of living on the top of the upgrade curve -
for all they care :-)

Oded