> It is my complete guess that the Linux 'NAT' code forwards packets and
> only rewrites the source IP/port address on outgoing packets and does
> not modify the packet in any other way (like fragmenting it).  Someone
> correct me if I am wrong ;)

You're both correct and incorrect.
You're looking at IP-layer modifications. True, NAT, under linux or not,
does not include any modifications besides the IP.

BUT

when ANY (linux or otherwise) implementation of TCP/IP wants to stuff a
10KB packet of a high-level layer into a lower layer that can only convey
1.5KB chunks, it does fragmentation. It happens between any 2 layers.

For instance, your Winsock wants to stuff a 4KB IP packet (Network
Layer) into an ethernet packet (Hardware layer) whose limited payload is
1500 bytes. So it fragments the 4KB into 3 1.5K packets.

Now, the ADSL:
Linux will want to frag anything that it has to stuff into the ppp
interface into 1452-byte chunks (which will get a header on top of them
and be conveyed to the adsl modem as 1500 byte chunks over the ethernet
inferface) - this is both if it gets the large packet from the LAN to
forward, or an application generated it on the linux box itself.

My initial two issues are still unanswered :-)

 ---= Cell: (+972)-56-322433 =--------
   ---= Windows Programmer in Rehab =---

"If at first you don't succeed...
.. Skydiving is probbably not for you."