Can someone verify that the setup does, in fact, support the RFC?

I.e. - use hping or other packet crafting tool to generate a big (say,
4K) TCP packet with the "don't fragment" flag set, and see (with
tcpdump, or a real sniffer, such as ethereal) whether a "fragment
needed" ICMP is sent.

If it is not sent, but the packet does not go through, then there is a
real problem. I would try, at this stage, incrementing the TTL, starting
from one, and seeing where the "ICMP time exceeded" messages stop
arrive. Wherever that happens - that's the curlpit (or the one before).

hping2 can be D/L from http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/software.html

The command line for a single, established, ~ 4KB packet to host foo,
with the "don't fragment" flag set is
hping2 foo -c 1 -A -d 4096 --dontfrag

hping will display any reply packets received. If you want to test the
TTL as well, add --ttl # to the arguments.

               Shachar