Hi

A couple of small corrections. Also have a look at the IGLU faq.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Alexander V. Karelin wrote:

> Dear Micha!
>
> To sort the confusion (and since I've dealt with the same issue before),
> here are a couple of comments:
>
> 1. The unix/:-1 thing is very simple. unix stands for transport. / has to
> preceed the hostname. If the host is local, than the column follows the
> slash. And the last part is the number of the port, which for unix
> sockets, is -1. So - if You want to use Your font-server's resources -
> first check which transport/port does it serve on. And than add it to the
> fontpath.
>
> 2. A font directory is quite tricky. It needs to have a fonts.dir file.
>
> For Type1 & Type2 fonts, run: `mkfontdir > fonts.dir`
> For True-type fonts, run: `mkfontdir > fonts.scale`

I don't think mkfontdir extracts names of TTFs as well. You need to use
some variation of 'ttmkfdir >fonts.scale'

And after that, 'mkfintsdir' to create fonts.dir from fonts.scale.
Actually, you can simply run 'ttmkfdir >fonts.scale'

> The next step is to generate the encoding for the fonts. Well - in short,
> it is a list of all encodings support by each font. To generate it You
> need to know where the encoding control files are locate. Usually it is
> in:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
> and
> usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large
>
> Well - it is usual for X11 v4+, but it may be different someplace else.
> You may also want to use alternative and additional encodings (??? Well,
> it may well be - after all, this is linux!). So - to generate the encoding
> listing, run mkfontdir in the following manner:
>
> `mkfontdir -e [encoding directory 1] -e [encoding directory 2] ...` until
> You run out of encoding dirs.
>
> After You're through with this, fonts are "loadable" (suposably).

Is this step necesary with XFree out of the tarball? Out of the rpm?

> 3. Font-server configuration is located someplace on the disk. Finding
> this location is quite easy - look in Your xfs startup file. The default
> location may be found through "man xfs".

/etc/X11/fs/config on my system

> Once You have stumbled upon xfs config file, add the paths that You've
> added and made ready (proccess 2) and... Well - first, shut down Your X11
> server. (BTW: if You have it loaded on startup, look for the instructions
> below).

(not entirely necessary. The imporatant thing is not to run this from X,
in case you write the wrong config and the fonts server crashes. If you'rr
ein X there's a chance that the whole console will lock. If you're no in
X, you can simply kill X.

If the X server is up, and you change anything in the list of availble
fonts, you should run

  xset fp rehash

>         Than restart Your xfs. Start X11 again and run xfontsel - a
> program that allows You to review all Your fonts. If You found the new
> fonts there - fine. If You havn't, that means something went wrong.

You don't have to restart X for that:

  fslsfonts -server unix/:-1 |less

> 4. XF86Config
>
> The default path for it is /etc/X11/. But, it may be someplace else. The
> true location of the XF86Config file may be learned by different means,
> but if You ran out of all of them, there is a rather simple wayof finding
> that out. Rename /etc/X11/XF86Config (or any other "suspect") to, let's
> say, /etc/X11/FX86Config.hidden and try to start (restart) X11. If the X11
> goes bananas (i.e. refuses to start) - than You've got the right one.

This is not a good method: if you suspect XF86Config and XF86Config-4 ,
and decide to rename XF86Config-4, X will probably load well (although it
may complain. However, the XF86Config man page will tell you:

  This configuration  file  is  searched for  in the following places
           /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
           /etc/X11/XF86Config

> Well
> - this is a brutal yet efficient way of locating configuration files...
> Unless we're talking about production server or services that are vinal
> for machine's life...:)

A better method:

see what is the X server (the symlink from /etc/X11/X in my system). If it
points to /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 then you use XFree4, and if XF86Config-4
exists, it will be used.. If the name is something else (e.g:
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA) then you use XFree 3 and XF86Config will be
used.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]