On Mon, Jul 09, 2001, Alexander V. Karelin wrote about "Re: X font problem":
> 1. The unix/:-1 thing is very simple. unix stands for transport. / has to
> preceed the hostname. If the host is local, than the column follows the
> slash. And the last part is the number of the port, which for unix
> sockets, is -1. So - if You want to use Your font-server's resources -
> first check which transport/port does it serve on. And than add it to the
> fontpath.

Just a small off-topic clarification: Unix-domain sockets (see man unix(7))
do not have port numbers; Instead, the address for a unix-domain socket is
a file name (which is created with the socket() command, or a nameless file
is created with socketpair() - see the above manual for more information).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that -1 isn't exactly a port number, but
rather a hint the X server and/or font server use to find this file.
For example, in my Redhat 7.1 installation, I have in XF86CONFIG
            FontPath   "unix/:7100"

This 7100 is not a port number, since unix-domain sockets do not have
port numbers (an example where this would have been a port is with the
tcp transport: tcp/somecomputer.com:7100 - see man X(7) for more info).
This 7100 tells X to use the local file:
# ls -l /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
srwxrwxrwx    1 xfs      xfs             0 Jul  9 23:15 /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100

Which the font server (xfs) is listening on. Note the "s" in the beggining
of the ls -l line: this says this is a special unix-domain *s*ocket file.

By the way, to find out which unix-domain socket or tcp socket your font
server is listening on, you can do

        lsof -i -U

and search for "xfs". Again, if you see /tmp/.font-unix/fs123 use
unix/:123 in your font path.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Monday, Jul  9 2001, 19 Tammuz 5761
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |Recursive, adj.: See Recursive