On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Omer Zak wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Dani Arbel wrote:
>
> > Omer,
> >
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> > > Why are you allowing the users to get to the web directly?
> > >
> > > IMHO, you should be running a caching proxy on the gateway machine. It
> > > should point to your ISP's caching proxy.
> >
> > This is a good thing to do. (and this is what I do at home)

> Geoff and Dani both say that a caching proxy is a Good Thing (TM).
> I'd like to know if and how it improves network security (besides the
> issue of reducing traffic to the ISP if more than one person at our
> LAN surf to the same Web pages).

And a slightly different question:

How much content is indeed cahcable? Many web pages (usually the larger
ones) specifically ask the client not to cache.

Also, there are still certain sites that it breaks (I remember one
occasion with yahoo mail and internet explorer, but I don't remember the
exact details). This is why I don't like things like a transparent proxy.

(and users natually suspect the proxy server, as it gives them error
messageswhenever there is a problem, and they blame the messanger)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]