Haim,

> While you're correct that PC Trojans is more a threat then somebody
> hacking into ADSL modem, the later is still a possibility. If I remember
> correctly, there were remote exploits to Alcatel ADSL modems, and if the
> modem is connected directly to your internal LAN, you are in trouble. If
> the modem is on separate physical interface, and access from/to it is
> restricted via firewall rules, maximum you loose your internet
> connectivity when your modem is hacked into. This brings another
> question: are Alcatel ADSL modems used by Bezeq vulnerable to this
> exploit, and if they are, is there any patch or updated firmware which
> can be applied to fix it? I'm using Alcatel modem myself now, but was
> unable to find any relevant data on the net.
I read the info about the Alcatel ADSL modem vulnerability and what I
learnt is:
1) no exploit in yet known
2) one vulnerability is the telnet access with a default password. In
order to actualy use it from the Internet they sugest using the service
echo. I can't see how this is feasible but with changing the password and
using iptables (which is done anyway) this may be ruled out.
3) they claim there is a backdoor to the Modem in the ATM level, and that
it may be used to replace the os of the modem to include a sniffer. I do
not believe this is a real threat for a regular user. I believe only Bezeq
have access to the ATM layer. Ofcourse, who fears this possibility should
separate the internal segment from the ADSL.

Dani