On Wed, Nov 28, 2001, Max Kovgan wrote about "Re: linux over win9x":
> what is a purpose of "trying" a very limited version of OS if you want to
> try  it ?

Well, sometimes it's nice to try out something before you commit to it (with
disk space and time).

For example, after mentioning in a previous post that long ago my favorite
editor was "sam", I decided it's about time I gave Plan 9
(http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/) at try ("sam" is plan 9's official
editor, or at least one of them). But after looking at their homepage, I
decided to postpone it to another time when I'll have more energy - because
it will require downloading tons of stuff, having a clean partition, and
I'll have to boot into plan 9 where in all likelyhood my modem wouldn't work,
and who knows what else isn't supported - and then I can't even log in to
check the web for help...

Does that remind you of anything? Yeah, that's what most Windows users
feel when you suggest to them they should try Linux...

Just giving plan 9 a test drive would have been easier if I could just
run a plan 9 kernel (and other stuff) in a Linux window.
By the way, the even better alternative is logging into someone else's plan
9 machine and running (text) stuff from there - but since I know no such
person, this option is out of the question too.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |   Wednesday, Nov 28 2001, 14 Kislev 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |If con is the opposite of pro, is