On Sun, Dec 23, 2001, Omer Zak wrote about "Guy's Rants about volunteerism":
> Recently someone posted and asked for suggestions how to get Linux
> experience.  He was open to offers to volunteer his time.  I am sure there
> are several other youngsters in similar situation (before the army, and
> wanting Linux and/or Webmastering experience).

While this is true, the person who is given the duty of high-level
administration and security policy (rather than short-term work like "just
write a script that does '....'") will have to come with a considerable
amount of Linux/Unix experience - e.g., from administering a personal Linux
machine.

Making mistakes that f*cks up the server's operation is quite easy (and
frequent) for an inexperience sysadmin. One without considerable experience
is also very likely to cause huge security holes, and never discover breakins
(some crappy sysadmins think their system is secure just because they don't
know it was broken into ;))

> Another important issue which is considered by someone who is
> contemplating volunteer work:  needed commitment.  People with family and
> jobs are already fully committed to those.  They won't accept lightly
> further commitments, if they are serious.  However, then something itches
> them, they would be willing to scratch the itch.

Right. The way we solved this on the machine running ivrix.org.il, is that
the same machine also runs the personal home pages and email addresses of
the people administering it (e.g., it runs nadav.harel.org.il). These have
negligable effect on the amount of bandwidth/disk/CPU wasted, but have a
strong effect in keeping the machine relatively well-adminstered (since I'd
notice if my homepage suddenly went down, and so on). It can also serve as
a small "bonus" to people helping the effort, or even as a way to blackmail
them into doing work: imagine you relying on "zak.org" (for example) being
served by iglu.org.il, and being told that if you don't keep the mirrors up
to date, zak.org would be dropped :)

--
Nadav Har'El                        |        Sunday, Dec 23 2001, 8 Tevet 5762
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |The message above is just this