Hi everyone,
I noticed that in the last few days the question of the proper MTU for
ADSL connections was raised, with some remarks about corrections/additions
to the HOWTO .
so:
1) We plan to rewrite the HOWTO, so we will take the remarks into
consideration.
2) the current version of the howto has, in the section about ip
masquerading, the following sentence:

MAKE SURE THAT YOU READ THE DOCUMENT IN
http://damyen.technion.ac.il/~dani/adsl-mtu.txt
AND THAT YOU IMPLEMENT ONE OF THE RECOMMENDATION THERE.
FAILING TO DO SO WILL CAUSE CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS FOR STATIONS
IN THE MASQUERADED NETWORK.

I believe that the Linux comunity can:
a) read and understand that document. And remember: knowledge is power!
b) implement the rccomandetions therein (even without understanding).

and the recommandations are:

It is recommanded that hosts in nat/routed/masqueraded environment will be
set up with
maximum MTU of 1460 bytes (or whatever the ppp mtu is ), and thus the
advertized
maxmimum segment size will be 1420 bytes. This will ensure that no atempt
(during path MTU
discovery) to send packets larger than the tunnel's MTU will be done.
This may be acheaved with IPtables without changing the MTU of the
internal
station by adding a rule of TCPMSS --clump-mss-to-pmtu (see the example in
the file fw-adsl.sh ).

Anyway, my next lecture in Haifux (22-1-2002) will cover (and clear up ?)
this topic.

Reinventing the wheel is usualy somewhat frastrating ...

Dani