On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 14:28, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I don't know what I'm missing, but Hebrew **seems** to be set up since I can
> see  and type Hebrew in other KDE applications - for instance KMail and KWrite
> using iso8859-8 fonts. But, I can't see the Hebrew fonts in Konsole. The
> problem is somehow related to fonts aand not to typing or the keyboard, because
> even if I cut Hebrew from KWrite and paste it into Konsole, I still get
> question marks instead of Hebrew. When I try to select a Hebrew font in
> Konsole. I get a partially giibberish error message saying the font doesn't
> exist - which makes little sense since I'm choosing from a menu of fonts that
> presumably do exist and do support Hebrew.

Step 1. Switch the running Konsole to UTF-8 mode.

On Debian, that can be done by running "konsole-utf8 on" from inside the
shell (that'll need to be done for every shell you run, so you might as
well put it in your shell's startup file).

Other distros might've placed this file under a different name ("rpm -ql
konsole | grep bin" might give you a clue about the installed Konsole
utilities).

Step 2. If the target app (e.g. sendsms) excepts ISO-8858-8 (Logical)
encoded text, use something like:
iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO-8859-8 | sendsms ...

Typing Hebrew should be as usual (no question marks, but no BiDi either
- Konsole is not a BiDi console).