I trying to figure out where the menu defintitions are for the main menu
on the panel. I once installed ximian gnome, and since then my main menu
has four elements: Programs, Favorites, Settings, Desktop.

The regular menu editors that come with gnome, and Mandrake (I'm using
Mandrake 8.1) do not see these menus, and make a mess when I try to
change the Programs menu.

I want to know, also for personal knowlegde which are the configuration
files that tell the panel (or menus) how to format them selves.

I could see that there is some connection with the directory structure
under .gnome/apps and .gnome/apps-mdk, however these do not describe the
top level menus.

Any info will be appreciated.

Shai