On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Shai Bentin wrote:

> I trying to figure out where the menu defintitions are for the main menu
> on the panel. I once installed ximian gnome, and since then my main menu
> has four elements: Programs, Favorites, Settings, Desktop.
>
> The regular menu editors that come with gnome, and Mandrake (I'm using
> Mandrake 8.1) do not see these menus, and make a mess when I try to
> change the Programs menu.
>
> I want to know, also for personal knowlegde which are the configuration
> files that tell the panel (or menus) how to format them selves.
>
> I could see that there is some connection with the directory structure
> under .gnome/apps and .gnome/apps-mdk, however these do not describe the
> top level menus.
>
> Any info will be appreciated.

Mandrake uses the menu system that is borrowed from debian. Maybe debian's
docuemntation has better descrition of it.

Any pakage that wants to add entries to menus adds files with those
entries to /usr/lib/menu , /etc/menu or $HOME/.menu (I may got some paths
wrong).

Any program that wishes to present a menu adds a script
/etc/menu-methods . This script should be able to reconstruct the menus
for the program from the menu entries.

The reason Mandrake later changed the path of their created menus to
apps-mdk instead of apps is that in case you don't like their system, you
can easily disable it, and use gnome's (or ximian's) default.

You can probably try to merge the two systems together (either add some
ximian menu entries to /etc/menu and modify the configuration to use
apps-mdk, or copy the entries mandrake creates to ximian's empty menu)

HTH

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]