> On Tue, Apr 23, 2002, Dan Kenigsberg wrote about "Re: Screen saver password problem":
> > Just a (very) simple trick that once helped me out: if you have root privileges,
> > you may change the passwd to something you *can* type, unlock KDE, and revert to
> > the original password. No need to murder X and its clients.
>
> Why do you need root for that? Can't you Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a new virtual
> console (text window), log in, and change your own password?

Yep, this is what I should have offered to this thread.

> Or does KDE look up your password only once, and continues to compare to the
> same password even after you've changed it?

KDE looks at the file every time - this is why my chaging the passwd *did* work.

What I had to do at the time was to look on the printed output of another user,
even though he locked his station and went home. That required root. The problem
in question does not. My Bad.

Dan.