Eran Tromer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whatever method you use, doing a full upgrade using the installer has
> a very high chance of failing in *some* way, so if you don't have
> low-level remote control facilities you'd better be prepared to come
> over anyway.
>
> If you can't do that, you may be better served by upgrading the
> specific  RPM packages you need, though it's hard for some components
> due to a dense dependency network.

Not trying to open a holy war here, I would state the following
fact/opinions:
A. Debian seems to keep the ENTIRE system via the dpkg system.
B. Debian has a mechanism that allows overall update of all out of date
packages in the system.
C. The upshot of the above two is that an upgrade to a newer release is
merely changing a configuration file to specify you are now using the
new release, and telling the system to update.

I have done it several times to ugrade potatoe to both woody and sid,
and I have never encountered any problems (the one-liner had to be
repeated several times because of packages requiring certain other
packages installed prior to their installation begining, but otherwise
all went smooth all the times).

Upgrading kernel is, indeed, more difficult, but not so much so as to
prevent remote upgrade.

My question - what other distros support remote upgrade between major
releases? What is the procedure? For example, why can't up2date be used
to upgrade RedHat 7.2 to 7.3?

                    Shachar