On Sun, 19 May 2002, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Eran Tromer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Whatever method you use, doing a full upgrade using the installer has
> > a very high chance of failing in *some* way, so if you don't have
> > low-level remote control facilities you'd better be prepared to come
> >over anyway.
> >
> > If you can't do that, you may be better served by upgrading the
> > specificRPM packages you need, though it's hard for some components
> > due to a dense dependency network.
> >
> Not trying to open a holy war here, I would state the following
> fact/opinions:
> A. Debian seems to keep the ENTIRE system via the dpkg system.

Including configuration of packages. That is: some of the confguration
options of a package can be determained at install-time and therefore be
managed by the packaging system. This hopefully allows you to have less
config files to upgrade manually.

> B. Debian has a mechanism that allows overall update of all out of date
> packages in the system.
> C. The upshot of the above two is that an upgrade to a newer release is
> merely changing a configuration file to specify you are now using the
> new release, and telling the system to update.

As Eran mentioned, it only takes one small error to stop the whole process
in the middle. You may end up with a problematic system.

I tried upgrading from potato to woody on four systems, and it blew up in
the middle on two or of them. This is anecdotial evidence, but it means
that I try to be careful.

> I have done it several times to ugrade potato to both woody and sid,
> and I have never encountered any problems (the one-liner had to be
> repeated several times because of packages requiring certain other
> packages installed prior to their installation begining, but otherwise
> all went smooth all the times).

But what if the sshd had to be restarted due to glibc upgrade? What if the
packet filtering settings have changed?

> Upgrading kernel is, indeed, more difficult, but not so muchso as to
> prevent remote upgrade.
>
> My question - what other distros support remote upgrade between major
> releases?

I know that Mandrake has a script called "live update, which runs the
installer on a live system. There are resonable chances that you'll be
able to run the text-mode instaler from a remote session.

As for its reliability: haven't tried it ;-)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]