6. Kernel module that implements /proc/devname and /proc/pathname, by
performing mount none /usr/local/bin/gcc -t fsfileparse -o ro (not
applicable to this case, as the guy specifically asked for a userland
solution)
7. Use the following code taken from glibc...... Port it to your
favourite platform.
8. plex86/vmware etc. to run a windows program that will OCR the pixels
of the display, and analyse the results.
8b. Use a pronunciation program to read out loud your text, and a voice
recognition to parse it in.

Not a solution to your problem, but back in the days bits were young and
electricity was no faster than the lowest end personal home cold fusion
devices of today, we used to be able to parse a file into the file and
the dir part by tapping morse code on the bus lines and watching out for
sparks (sparcs?).

            Shachar