> I want to grow the / partition.

[...]

> This is obviously inappropriate for /, because I
> can't unmount /. I tried to use ext2fsadm, but it
> wants a file created by vgscan. I read the docs,
> and they require me to create logical volumes with
> vgcreate. At this point I am slowly getting lost,

I think you'll have to resize it when it's not
mounted. for example, boot from a floppy linux, or
if you have another linux installed on your hard
drive, boot into that..

below are 2 quotes from the parted manual.
http://www.gnu.org/manual/parted-1.6.1/html_chapter/parted_5.html

"Parted can't resize mounted partitions (this may
change in the future..."

"If you want to resize your root or boot partition,
use a boot disk See section 1.6 Using a Parted Boot
Disk, or use Andreas Dilger's online ext2 resizer,
included in the ext2resize package section"