Well, the answer is a big different...

If you run this script with en_US encoding and NOT utf8 - you would see the
missing speed. Apparently there's a bug with grep when it comes to utf8
handling (redhat and Alan confirmed that)..

So, if you're running lots of scripts on RH 8.0, maybe you should add a simple
en_US encoding to the beginning of your script...

Thanks,
Hetz