there is one area where alsa is better than the OSS driver for sblive cards...
and its the support for sounds fonts (sound fonts are premade banks of midi
samples which can be loaded into the card thus giving a much better sounding
instruments on the midi playback). this feature lacks in both the OSS and the
kernel driver.
so i guess ALSA guys deserve some credit :)))

On Sunday 17 November 2002 10:32, Hetz Ben-Hamo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > is it just me or is the great green hope of ALSA dying out? from the
> > maintainence of the ALSA packages in Debian it looks like people don't
> > believe this project will ever live up to its promisses, and I keep
> > hearing about how problmatic it is... DOES it have a future?
>
> Well, ALSA is a very good replacement for most of your sound drivers, but
> it really comes down to a simple thing - all depends on which sound card
> you got..
>
> In the SB Live situation, the emu10k1 team had a Creative employee around
> who could bring some docs to help, which is why the OSS SB Live driver
> works much better then the ALSA driver. People who have the SBLive might be
> interested to check out the driver from the CVS. The stock kernel module
> that comes with the distribution is missing quite few features (no bass,
> treble, AC3, SPDIF, etc) which can be used and enjoy this great card.
>
> In other cases - ALSA simply sucks - like in the case of old notebooks
> (opl3, opl3sa2, etc..) - the driver doesn't works reliably yet (you still
> need the emulation layer), and doesn't provide all the features that the
> OSS gives (here on this sub notebook, it loads 2 different modules so you
> get 2 mixers, each one with different features for the same chip - so they
> complete each other..
>
> Where does ALSA excels? professional sound cards. If you're going to play
> with some serious MIDI devices, and those $300+ sound cards, then I would
> suggest to use only ALSA. OSS drivers are simply not enough in this case.
>
> ALSA is now part of 2.5.x kernel tree, and I belive that within the next 12
> month it will replace OSS.
>
> > --
> > The weakest link
> > Ira Abramov