> > IMO, the first role Linux can take in schools is as a server. Many
> > schools have small to medium sized networks which either don't have
> > central server or rely on a Windows server running on a too-slow
> > machine. Using Linux as the server can reduce costs by both
eliminating
> > the need for server licenses and Microsoft CALs and allowing schools
> > use simpler machines for servers. A Linux server can also supply
better
> > firewalling with iptables, and can provide in-school email using
> > sendmail/qmail/postfix etc. Technically innovative schools might
also
> > allow easy remote access for their students by deploying some kind
of
> > SSH-based clients to their students.
>

> All those are true for every network with windows computers.

I know it is :-) I just think that at the current state of Hebrew
support this would be the best place to start migrating schools to
Linux. I think that if a school installs a Linux server and is happy
with it, it'd be easier to convince them to migrate their stations as
well. If a school switches its stations to KOffice/OpenOffice right now
they'll have too much trouble to consider continuing this "adventure".

> > I also think that Hebrew on Linux, as advanced as it may seem in
> > comparison to the past, is still not ripe enough for high-school
> > students to use, and OpenOffice and KOffice aren't ready to provide
> > complete alternative to Hebrew Word, Excel or PowerPoint -- the
three
> > most commonly used MSOffice applications in schools.
>
> Crossover office runs msoffice 2000 pretty well with full hebrew
support]

"Pretty well" is the key word here - you need perfect compliance IMO.
And CrossOver is not free (or am I wrong?), which means you need to
purchase an Office license and CrossOver, so the cost saving shrinks.

> > Here's a thought -- some schools have 15-points Computer Science
> > classes. How about contacting Ort or another school which emphasizes
on
> > technology and proposing them to let their students help in the
> > development of Hebrew support for OpenOffice/KOffice as their
project? I
> > don't think we can count on the Ministry of Education to support
that,
> > they're married to Microsoft at this point since they provide them
with
> > valid solutions.
>
> Openoffice would have full hebrew support in about 2-3 more months,
> koffice support hebrew preety well, in all aspects it still has few
bugs
> but they are getting fixed as people notice them. gnome office of
gnome
> 2.2 is also rumered to have preety well hebrew support.

I hope you're right. BIDI editing support is not a simple task.

> I think that schools with no money would be easier to be convinced
> there are a lot of them in israel.
>
> schools which like technology already has linux networks,
> (like some schools at ort network)

I didn't know that. What is Linux used for in these schools?

Alon.