From: Jonathan Ben Avraham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, 02 January, 2003 13:04
To: Alon Weinstein
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Edu in linux

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Alon Weinstein wrote:

> I think this is going too far. If children will use Linux from early
> grades, they might install it at their homes. In today's problematic
> economy, parents will be happy to pay 0$ for software, although I'm
sure
> most children don't really pay for their Windows....

Hi Alon,
It's not going far enough. I spent several months in a primary and high
school in the Galilee several years ago installing Linux and trying to
get
kids and teachers interested. Everyone who has been through this
experience understands that the real problem is not monetary cost but
psychological cost. $80 for a MS OS is a cheap price to pay for not
having
to relearn everything you ever though about computers plus learn a new
vocabulary for talking to your acquaintences who still use MS.
Regards,

 - yba

Avraham
> Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 12:10 PM
> To: Ely Levy
> Cc: ILUG
> Subject: Re: Edu in linux
>
> Hi Ely,
> You are wasting your time. Israeli K12 has no use for Linux. Been
there,

> done that. If the kids don't have the same OS at school as at home
then
> forget it. If it doesn't run MS Word, then forget it.
> Regards,
>
>  - yba
>

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Ely Levy wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> > I wanted to raise a discussion about the intergation of linux on
> schools
> > and kindergardens around israel.
> > there are few questions that come to mind.
> >
> > 1)What programs does schools/kindergarden uses?
> > 2)How many of them already use linux?
> > 3)What can linux offer that windows can't?
> > 4)What kind of problems might they get into while trying to move to
> linux?
> > 5)Where are the places that linux might be most needed?
> > 6)Does matach does programs which can't be replaced by opensourced
> > programs?
> >
> > 7) any other idea someone might have on how to approch it.
> >
> > Ely Levy
> > System group
> > Hebrew University
> > Jerusalem Israel

 EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open
Systems
-{=
   - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -