Quoth Oleg Goldshmidt on Wed, Jan 15, 2003:
> Vadim Vygonets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Come on!  Building crypto into the processor and enhancing
> > security is a GOOD THING[TM], *despite* the fact that DRM was
> > mentioned _by a third party_ in an article about the processor in
> > question.
>
> Actually, the passage I cited presents "deters intellectual property
> theft" as a direct quote.

I stand corrected.

> Of course security is good, but I would not
> want a "trusted," if secure, CPU in my computer,

Why not?  It's just encription, and features that make it harder
to crack security applications (by storing the key inside the
CPU).  Or do you mean you don't trust it?  In this case, you seem
to be sufficiently paranoid to look for security cameras in your
room (don't get me wrong, paranoia is good if you work with
security (and you obviously do)).

> even if made by Transmeta.

This, for me, is irrelevant.

> I made a mistake not using a smiley. But surely the question mark
> in the subject does not award The Register article the status of the
> ultimate truth...

Indeed, the article is not the ultimate truth in its final form,
but do you have any significantly better source of information?

> > And securing information does not necessarily mean betraying the
> > free world, regardless of what RMS says.
>
> Why do I agree with that? :-)

Because if you don't, your wrong! ;)

Vadik.

--
XVII:
        Software is like entropy.  It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing,