Quoth Guy Baruch on Mon, Jan 20, 2003:
> I think rms and the FSF guys are revolutionaries, while OS guys are
> reformers.
[...]
> Thus, OS guys try to write open software not just because open standards
> are
> better technically, but because of ideology. They, however, do not want
> to throw
> away all the great human effort spent on proprietary software R&D .  But
> fix
> the system where it needs it the most.

Of course, I can't speak on anybody except myself, so I will
express my stand on the matter.  I don't actively work on any
free and/or open source software.  If I do something which is not
secret, non-trivial and generic enough to be potentially useful
for other people, I usually try to post the links to the relevant
mailing lists, and let the others propagate this information if
they deem appropriate.

I don't do it for ideology, of course, I do it because walking an
extra meter to help the world is in my nature (walking an extra
mile often isn't), but there is one little place in which
ideology matters, and it's the license.  I regard Stallman's
views as extreme, and if somebody needs something for his job
which I already implemented, I actively want them to take it, so
I usually release my stuff under the two-clause BSD license.

Vadik.

--
It was state of the art, he said.
The art in this case was probably pottery.