I've recently run into dependancy problems with RPMs I wanted to install. I
know it's not a good idea to disable dependancy checking, but I'm not sure
how to get around this.

When installing a package from RPM, I get:

Installation failed:
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by libopencdk4-0.4.2-2

I thought this dependancy problem would be easy to solve, because I
have glibc-2.2.5-16mdk installed and a 2.3.1 package exists for Mandrake. But
when I tried to update from 2.2.5 to 2.3.1, I discovered that this breaks
other programs that want only 2.2.5. I get error messges like these:

glibc = 2.2.5 is needed by locales-2.3.1.3-7mdk
glibc = 2.2.5-16mdk is needed by glibc-devel-2.2.5-16mdk

The question is, can I safely disregard this or do I have to upgrade those
packages too. And if so, where does it end?

I'm especially concerned because I know how essential glibc is to many parts
of the system.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://come.to/shlomo.solomon