> Thanks for your answer. You confirmed my fears about upgrading glibc. But
> that leaves 2 questions.
>
> 1 - why aren't these libraries backward compatible?

Well, basically it should, but I've seen too many cases that it's not. Add to
that the fact that it was compiled with GCC 3.2 (my guess, I use RH), so
trying to upgrade GLIBC will guarantee you a fully fucked-up system, unless
you know what you're doing..

> 2 - If I don't upgrade glibc I guess I'll have to compile the package I
> originally tried to upgrade (after downloading sources). But then I'd be
> bypassing RPM when I install my compiled version. Isn't that a bad idea on
> a system where everything has been installed via RPM?

You can recompile the SRPM and install the new binaries that you created with
it.

> BTW - I have only the one Mandrake machine and don't do any development, so
> maybe my problem is not that serious.

It is. You won't be able even to boot.

Thanks,
Hetz