Amit Margalit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> First, it's not always the same process. So 4724 can (and does) change
> between su attempts.

Not the same process or not the same PID? I am absolutely sure it is
not 4724 all the time.

> I noticed that this is happening to me only on text-mode logins. If I
> telnet to my machine from another machine and then su, it won't happen.
>
> The fd/15 part is always the same.

And what is it? strace will tell you.

> I tried to run strace (I wonder how I forgot about it in the first place),
> but it seems it never allows me to su root with strace. I keep getting
> 'Incorrect Password'.

I am missing something here. You are not trying to "su root", you are
trying to "su - amit". I can strace that on my machine (s/amit/oleg/)
without a problem. And it does not ask you for a password, does it?

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]