On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Amit Margalit wrote:

> Well, I am home now, in front of the text-mode console, and I tried to run
> strace su - amit inside of 'script', but this means that my tty is
> /dev/pts/<something> and I don't get the error...
> So I ran it without, and below is the captured output.
> Any help would be welcome.

can you show the output of the commands 'ls -l /dev/tty' and 'tty' (before
running 'su -') - and then run 'ls -l' for the tty this last command
showed you?

here, i see /dev/tty as having r+w permissions for everyone, and the tty
is having r+w for the owner (root) and group (tty). not sure if this is
relevant or not - but doesn't hurt to look at it.

i'm also beginning to think that this might be a PAM configuration problem
- do you have a /etc/pam.d/su file (on redhat 7.3 it exists - what
distribution are you running?) - and if so - what does it contain? another
file to check could be /etc/security/console.perms - it defines which
devices become owned (and thus accesible) by a user that logged on to the
console. can you check what the '<console>=' lines there shows?

i'm just shooting in the dark, hopefully one of the shots will hit
something helpful ;)

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,