On Friday 24 January 2003 04:15, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> Quoth Amit Margalit on Wed, Jan 22, 2003:
> > I use a combination of SpamAssassin and Razor. Very good.
>
> SpamAssassin is quite effective, indeed.  I have no experience
> with Razor.

FWIW - I tried SpamAssassin and Razor, but the overhead caused by Razor was
too much. Instead of downloading 50 e-mails in a minute or so, it took almost
an hour!!!!! I checked the headings added by SpamAssassin and discovered that
none of the detected spam was because of Razor - the internal SpamAssassin
rules were doing all the work. In any case, I disabled Razor and use only
SpamAssassin with fairly good (but far from perfect) results. Here are some
observations about my results:

1 - as stated above  Razor adds too much overhead and little benefit
2 - in three weeks SpamAssassin caught 350 spams and missed 120
3 - in the first couple of days, there were a few false positives, but that
was easy to tune and lately there are none.
4 - since I'm using SpamAssassin on KMail, I decided to move some of my
filters up in the list so they'd be checked before SpamAssassin - that way, I
speeded up the proccess.
5 - I'm considering changing sensitivity from the default 5 to 4. Nearly half
of the missed spams had scores between 4 and 5.
6 - I'm also considering raising the number of points given to certain words
like Via***, pus**, mortgage, etc.

I'd be interested to hear comments about 5 and 6 since I haven't done them
yet.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://come.to/shlomo.solomon