I'd like to ask a related question: what about running a filer on the mail
server?

In the mail server I've set up, the only spam filter I put is denying by
connection address from black lists. This is because it requires
relatively little processing, and is done before the message hits the
queue (actually: before the message data is entered).

Currently I have in postfix's main.cf:

smtpd_client_restrictions =
  permit_mynetworks
  reject_maps_rbl

# (There are other restrictions in smtpd_recipient_restrictions and
# smtpd_sender_restrictions)

maps_rbl_domains =
  relays.ordb.org
  sbl.spamhaus.org
  dialups.relays.OsiruSoft.com
  bl.spamcop.net

Stats from current (unfinished) week:
relays.orbd:      14 rejects
spamhous:        386 rejects
dialups.OsiruSoft: 1 reject
spamcop:         136 rejects

Spamcop is considered too agressive, so I placed it last. It seems that at
least most of the rejected mails are indeed spams.

But this is far from an effective mail filter. I was wondering about the
possibility of installing SpamAssasin or something similar on the mail
server. amavis is currently installed there, and I know it is possible to
fit SpamAssisin into it.

So the question of errorless filterring arrises: should I actively filter?
or should I just tag messages? Anybody has similar settings?

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]