Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED], from the post of Wed, 19 Feb:
> Hi,
>
> I need to design a Chumash with Hebrew and German text, and would like
> it to be of rather high quality look. The whole thing should be
> exportable to well formed pdf. Text input is less important, as the
> texts are mostly already written and saved in a variety of accessible
> electronic formats.

Lyx?

the problems of correctly setting the type in a Torah book drove the
publishers of Keter Yerushalayim to write their own set of tools:

http://www.index.co.il/dfus/article_page.asp?info_id=112840
http://www.israel-mfa.gov.il/mfa/go.asp?MFAH0kxe0
http://www.israel-mfa.gov.il/mfa/go.asp?MFAH0kxu0#jerusalem

this link has a phone number:
http://members.tripod.com/Einav-web/eventLibLecture.htm

As for fonts and the sad lack of them:
http://mail.edu-negev.gov.il/a-s/inter12.asp

Sadly, the Bible is partly a project of the Hebrew Uni, but I see no
publication of theirs on the subject. If there was any justice, all the
information from and about the project would have been available to the
public, including fonts and sources.

as for the question of whether you need Unicode or not, look fist at
what TeX/LaTeX has to offer.

--
Boy genious
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.