On Thursday 20 February 2003 09:56, Eli Segal wrote:
> no, it been used as a file server no more ....

I've made the same move few months ago at my work place.

I had novell 4.  that was working ( as long as there was elec. ) until some
hardware failure that caused it to shut down unexpectedly...

that was a sign to move to some thing new..

the options were newer ver. of novell , M$ server, or LINUX... ;-)

since I used the server mainly as file-server that wasn't a doubt that SAMBA
will do the work. the prob. was with some accountings programs that used
Novell auth. to work ( none needed a btrive DB running on that server )

when I finely got the new server ( IBM eSERVER X220 ) I plugged it in to the
local net and used a third ( M$ 98 ) station to transfer files from the old
server the then new one..

after setting new auth to each user group on each share and pronouncing the
new server as PDC and writing startup script to each user so it's shares will
be mounted auto. on login my work was done.

over all performance are better ( I can point if it is due to Linux since the
hardware is much newer ) but I must say that configuring and maintaining the
system is much more easier now ( I can do it from home via SSH ) and
stability is great..;-)

OS RedHat 7.3
samba ver. 2.2.7

Yehuda Drori