Beni Cherniavsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Aside from security, it can also confuse scripts when you run them in a
> directory containing a program named the same as some system program the
> script uses.

That will be a problem with the script. In scripts, it is a good idea
to use absolute paths in any case. There are too many ways you can
confuse the system regarding an executable: different set or order of
directories in PATH, functions, aliases...

I don't think any sane distro adds "." to PATH by default. I do use
command line, and I do add "$HOME/bin:." to PATH, but for my regular
user only, never for root, and at the very end of PATH. As paranoid as
I am, I think it is OK security-wise because any resulting damage will
be limited to what a regular user can do. I've never been bitten yet,
but that's because I don't name files "test" and I use full paths in
scripts. ;-)

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | [EMAIL PROTECTED]