On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 01:59:28PM +0200, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
> Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > There is no need for such dirty tricks.  You can use the rcs or
> > rcsinfo packages.
>
> I remember trying those once. I ended up pulling all sorts of
> dependencies and could never make it work right. Besides, IIRC they
> are not standard, and thus are not appropriate for collaborative
> projects.

I just installed the rcs package on a Linux RH 7.3 machine. It did
take some time, since I took the cautious route and RTFM'd, and it
didn't require any external dependencies. For just having $Id$ in your
document, it might be overkill, but it can also do several other nifty
things. The code and documentation are available here:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/rcs/

Did anyone try rcsinfo?
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda