Quoth Nadav Har'El on Tue, Mar 25, 2003:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003, Mark Veltzer wrote about "Re: ANSI C":
> > P.S. Ritchie and Kerninghan didn't even dream of GCC when they thought of C so
> > the small book is of little use these days.
>
> Actually, Kernighan & Ritchie have a second edition of their book, published
> in 1988, which corresponds to ANSI C.

It's quite hard to get the first edition these days, don't you
agree?

> It might not be the most recently
> published book, but it's far from "of little use these days", and is still
> very relevant. (if you think 1988 is old, remember that the first edition
> of their book was published in 1978). And the second edition is less "small"
> than the first edition.
>
> Harbison & Steele's book, "C Reference Manual" is considered by many to be a
> better book and with more details about the standard.

K&R is not a reference, but a textbook.

> And of course, there is the text of the standard itself, which ISO probably
> charge $1000 (or something similarly outrageous)

The Standard may (probably) be obtained from the Standards
Institution of Israel (Machon Ha-tkanim Ha-israeli), 42 Chaim
Levanon Street, Tel Aviv 69977, phone 03-6465154, fax 03-6419693,
e-mail <iso/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, URL <http://www.sii.org.il/>, and I
have no idea about the cost (I believe a couple of hundreds of
dollars).

> but if you're into illegal
> copying probably can be found and copied in electronic format.

A publically available draft from August 3, 1998:
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n843.htm
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n843.pdf
http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n843.ps.gz

Draft Rationale: