[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

And where would you connect that RJ45?

This part of the discussion reminds me that back about 7 years ago
when I took part in some tiny ISP there was some hub laying around there
which could take serial cables and make them available over telnet,
(each serial port mapped to a different TCP port) very useful for remote
access to serial ports.  Is this what you had in mind?

--Amos

Modern servers come with RS-232 exists that are RJ-45. As Shaul said, there are RJ-45 to D9 adapters. The theory behind some of them is that connecting a standard twisted pairs cable gives you a serial cable, while connecting a cross cable gives you a NULL modem cable.

The two machines I want to connect are next to each other. One has a standard serial D9, while the other has an RJ45 serial exit.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant