Promoting Linux for schools is much more involved than just a proper training program.
There are multiple issues that need to be addressed:

   Many of the computers in schools are outdated, and would run feature-rich graphical
environments too slow than to allow any productive work to be done. Leaner window
managers can be used, but they do not provide the same user experience or full Hebrew
support. Furthermore, many of those computers don’t even have CD-ROMs installed to
allow a CD based distro to run.
   Many schools are going to get new PCs next year. But guess what? They are
pre-installed with XP and have smart cards in them that must not be removed. Not
surprisingly, this is part of this deal: http://www.whatsup.org.il/article.php?sid=1297
   It seems that the ministry of education is phasing out C++ in favor of C# and .net.
I got this info confirmed from several sources, so it seems to be correct information.
While Mono and .gnu may eventually resolve this, it does pose at least short term
challanges.
   Another bridge to pass is the pupils themselves. I’ve heard from a teacher that is
trying to teach Linux that one of the common objections he hears is “Why Linux? We
don’t want it because nobody uses it” and how is that measured? “we can’t buy it in
stores so it must be something rare”. Just another reasoning for better PR ;)
   Don’t underestimate opposition in the ministry of education. I don’t know if this
is related to ignorance, stupidity or moderate pressure from interested companies.

Taking all these obstacles into consideration, getting Linux into the education system
is much more involved than just preparing a training plan (although this might be a
start).

By the way, I don’t know what is the game plan for creating an alternative training
plan but it may be easier if existing plans are adapted. Let’s take for example the
“operating systems” plan for next year: [x86 structure, history and programming; OS in
general: users, threads, memory management; file systems, I/O, security etc.; WinNT:
history, structure and APIs; C++; Programming Windows: simple programs, messages,
windows, GDI, I/O, memory management etc]. Guess what parts need to be replaced ;)

Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Beni Cherniavsky wrote:

>Perhaps HaMakor could convince the ministry of education to create
>such a thing.

Right now, the ministry of education is waiting for a proposal for a
teaching program, that we do not provide for lack of resourcs. Anyone
who is interested, and has some knowledge of the Linux kernel, please
contact me ASAP.

Unless we come through on that one, we won't be able to ask for anything.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant