On Thursday 19 June 2003 19:53, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 06:09:01PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
> > The Boycott SCO apge on pclinuxonline.com has an interesting suggestion:
> > "Linus, please deny SCO the right to the Linux trademark until they drop
> > these suits and agree in writing to never pursue them again against any
> > Linux vendor."
>
> What is the practical meaning of this, and how exactly would it affect SCO?

Hmm. On second thoughts I'm not sure myself :-(

IANAL, so I don't really know either way. AFAIK you can't forbid someone from
using your trademark if he isn't directly competing with you, and a
distribution like SCO Linux isn't competing directly with the kernel produced
by Linus. OTOH, perhaps he could empower another distro(s) who is competing
with SCO to do something.

(I wonder what the pclinuxonline.com people have in mind?)

But on second thoughts it really doesn't look like a smart move. SCO wouldn't
obey without a court order, and it'd just make the trademark look
weak/unenforced. And suing them is pointless, there are lots of better things
to sue them over.

Oh well...

--
Dan Armak