Well actually, if I wanted to save myself the headache I would have
done it in Java :)
Extremely easy to develop, I just love that language. There is only one
major drawback which annoys me and that's speed. This application I'm
writing has to be able to handle many requests per second if need be.

This is the only reason why I wouldn't wanna do this with an interpreted
language, or a bytecoded language for that matter.. :-/

Java is only marginally slower than C/C++ for non UI tasks (Java2D is the reason it's slow at UI - see Swing on JDK 1.1, or SWT).
The new IO libraries (async IO) make things even better. You can even compile code that doesn't use the AWT with gcj for Linux or JET for Windows (which handles AWT too, but isn't free or Free). Also, you should first make sure that your application is definitely going to be CPU bound before deciding against an "interpreted" language (most "interpreted" languages, including Java, aren't really interpreted nowadays). On today's hardware, most applications are network, disk and user bound, which a compiled language isn't going to improve.

Alexander Maryanovsky.