[snip]

> Why a Bsc is so important, Most of the Phds guys I know are
> not good for practical issues, and most of them even not at theorical.

I don't want anyone to take offence, but when I interview people, I look at their
degree as a certificate that says that the person certified by it can take up
long-term task and finish them. They have studied, for 3 or 4 years, gone through the
various hoops and toils of the academic world, and emerged victorious on the other
side, with the diploma in hand. A worthy project, IMHO. Plus the smart ones get to
pick some useful stuff along the way.

Obviously this is not the only factor by which I judge the applicant - some people
just coast through their degree like they are made from Teflon - nothing sticks. You
ask the simplest CS question and their eyes go blank. It also bears some correlation
to the institution issuing the degree - some are harder, objectively, than others -
which means the student is either more involved or did not get her degree.

This is why IMHO a degree can be a criteria. It's not fair putting it as a MUST - but
it does give the interviewer a coarse filter, especially today when the job seekers
are plentiful.

PhDs, are another issue, though.

> I quit univeristy twice and I am partialy proud of it.

Without looking at your particular case, when I hear someone saying that I hear 'I
don't have what it takes to finish what I start doing'. I don't want to hurt your
feelings, but it doesn't sound too good.

On the other hand, in 1997-2000 many people just quit university because the start-up
world was too enticing, and they are good enough to get a job without a degree. After
all, 5.4% of the richest people in the world are collage dropouts [1].

If someone without a degree would have applied for a position to which I believe a
degree is required, I would scrutinize their CV carefully before inviting them for an
interview.

> I try to think hard enought why it could be of interest to
> hire a Bsc,... And the only reason I see is that it may serve
> to show off to potential investors.

That could also be it.

-- Arik

[1] http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002/03/01/gates-richest-man.htm
This email and attachments have been scanned for
potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

PortAuthority(TM)  Server
Keeping Information Inside
Vidius, Inc.
www.vidius.com