Shaul Karl wrote:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:34:59AM +0300, Daniel Feiglin wrote:

Hello folks!

People looking for a UPS with Linux support may find this useful:

I gather it is not open software, is it? Do *we* remember to ask for full disclosure documentation when purchasing hardware?

Not open, but the UPSMON stuff seems to have been around a long time and is widely used. (Google).

I just installed

Does it have a serial or usb interface?

Serial, 9 pin

a 1KVa S1000 unit from Sustainer (www.sustainer.co.il, Bar Kochba 8, Bnei Brak, 03 5793686).

It comes with the usual Win s/w with lots of pretty buttons and clock-like displays. It also comes with a grotty little tar file for Linux, containing the upsmon monitoring daemon and a text mode status display.

They only work in superuser mode (yes, the display too), but work they do. The daemon does not support simple start and stop parameters. To stop it, kill -9 ... . That means, that writing a "standard" start/stop script in not on. Too bad for what follows.

The documentation is written in a rather quaint Taiwanese English, and assumes that you can "intall" the daemon by editing an rc.local script. Of course in my SuSE 8.1 setup there aint no such thing, and I won't go into the morbid details here, beyond remarking that you need to add an S<something> file to kick off the daemon, to (say) the run levels 3 & 5 directories under /etc/init.d.

All this crud would make it a bit of a pain for a newbie.

DAF

Can you run it under strace and post the output? I hope that sending
the long output to the list is a good idea because the list's archiving
feature. Can you provide URLs for the software and/or email me the tar
ball?

1. Tar file - mailed separately
2. strace - later. BTW, for a much earlier version (Lantech, circa 1996), I wrote my own DOS+OS/2 monitor programmes, using a thing-a-mee-bob with LEDs which show RS 232 pin activity and a bit of dis-assembly of a suppied DOS TSR.