Shaul Karl wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:05:29AM +0300, Daniel Feiglin wrote:

1. Tar file - mailed separately

This tar file is a bit by bit identical to the one included in
http://www.advice.co.il/data/prog/UPSMON_LINUX.zip. In addition, the
actual content of the READMEE.HTM that you have sent seems identical to
the antiword content of 'UPSmon FOR LINUX(English).doc', where 'UPSmon
FOR LINUX(English).doc' is again from Advice's zip file. Which makes me
wonder whether both Advice and Sustainer use the same user interface
engine?
Perhaps, and at your own risk, you would like to try the nut software
with the powercom driver with your Sustainer UPS?

Later. Gotta go to work soon (Shmira 21:00->06:00. Anyone got something better?)

The first thing I
would do when carrying out such experimentation is having the mains
power feed the PC directly, as opposed to having the UPS supply power to
the PC. If possible I would load the UPS with a light bulb or some other dummy load.
It could be that Suse has already packaged the nut. Does it?

SuSE 8.1, Yes If so,
what version does it ship?
0.50.0-96

2. strace - later. BTW, for a much earlier version (Lantech, circa 1996), I wrote my own DOS+OS/2 monitor programmes, using a thing-a-mee-bob with LEDs which show RS 232 pin activity and a bit of dis-assembly of a suppied DOS TSR.

Can you post the communication protocol of that model? If not then maybe you can post the source? In the UPS business, as in many other areas, newer work seems to highly utilize previous work.

It's 194K zip file. I'll send it privately. If there's anything of value there, feel free use it a la GPL, or whatever seems reasonable. Please note that it includes extensive documentation in old QText 5.1 format. You can view it as an ordinary (but ugly) text file.