ביום חמישי, 24 ביולי 2003, 17:13, Aviram Jenik כתב:
> On Thursday 24 July 2003 16:45, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>
> <rant about non-crossed cables>
>
> > I recall that some new cards "autodetect polarity".  Does this refer
> > to polarity on each pair or also to Tx/Rx autodetection?  Is there a
> > chance that it will work with crossed cables anyway?
>
> I never heard of network cards that do that, but many switch-hubs (even
> relatively cheap ones) are able to use crossed or non-crossed cables;
> specifically - some D-Link ADSL router/hubs do that.
>
> > Is it safe to
> > experiment of do I risk letting the smoke out?
>
> Completely safe. Connecting crossed cable instead of non-crossed will
> simply not work, but it won't damage the equipment.

yet another solution...

I once bought sockets for RJ45 and connected them in a crossed manner..

I used that when I had a need to extend a cable using two cables and in the
same time to cross them over..

<------------------> }=======x======{ <---------------->
        1st cable               crossing sec.   2nd cable

this way you can re-cross the cables to be straight again..

I think you can also find RJ45 extentions much the same as those used to
extend phone lines and re-cross them to the same end..

the prob is that you need a cable ( even a short one ) for each extended
line...

the wires need to be crossed are if I remember right..

1<--->3
2<--->6

all the rest are kept straight

Yehuda Drori