On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Official Flamer/Cabal NON-Leader wrote:

> Quoth Geoffrey S. Mendelson:
>
> > GIMP is an excelent photo editor. Photoshop is better because there are
> > more features, more commercial plug-ins and better documentation. For

Photoshop has more features than GIMP? From when? FYI, out of the box,
GIMP has much more features than Photoshop. (including some of the
features present only in its third-party plug-ins). I don't know about the
documentation. I know the online help of the GIMP is lacking, but there
are some free online books.

> > home use, I doubt the $700 for Photoshop (plus a Windows PC or Mac) is
> > worth it.
>
> I agree about Photoshop, but the replacement should not be GIMP, but
> Paintshop Pro (jasc.com) - both it and Photoshop are so many miles ahead
> of gimp that it is really not fair to compare.

I beg your pardon, again? Paintshop Pro is a shareware program that is
much more minimalistic than either GIMP or Photoshop. Besides, neither it
nor Photoshop were ported to Linux, and unless you're using WINE or some
other emulation layer, you can't run it there. (and even then doubtedly).
So, for Linux, much less other UNIXes, GIMP is the only option.

The major argument people have against GIMP is that it is not as easy to
use as Photoshop. I can't testify for other people, but I have found GIMP
easier to use than Photoshop.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Writing a BitKeeper replacement is probably easier at this point than getting
its license changed.

        Matt Mackall on OFTC.net #offtopic.