[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

It's going to be an ad, but they earned it - Go to Jugend Brothers (pronounced
"Yugend") at 5 Hayarkon St. in Tel-Aviv. They are a pro shop and their prices are
fair and their advice is good (I could have bought my camera there for almost the
same price as abroad, only I also would have had to pay 18% VAT).

From my experience as an amateur photographer I know that indeed Jugend brothers is one of the few "serious" stores in Israel, where one could get *good* advice and proffesional/rare equipment (Along with HAMA'ABADA ['The Lab'] at Dizzengoff TA, to name another option).
Still, I would thoroughly check prices before buying in Israel, especially if I had the option of bringing stuff from NY. I lately made a market survey for Digital Video cameras. Cheapest NY stores were 2/3 prices in average (and even lower) of Israel cheapest locations, and yes, for a PAL camera. Indeed the price gap for still cameras is much smaller, I would have double checked for the model I intend to buy. I found dealtime.com a very nice price comparison engine for those tasks.

Heck, if we're that into photography, if anyone is due for a trip to Vegas (some convention?) and is looking for a pro shop there, I could look for that store I bought a Cokin P160 circular polarizer (this piece is NOT found in the mall stores in the US).

Look them up on the net, they have a site with forums etc.

http://www.jugend.co.il/

A good place to check about digital cameras in general, learn what the terminology
means and read very thorought reviews is at http://www.dpreview.com. Ignore the
prices quoted there since they are the recommanded price at time the camera was
introduced, the prices decrease as the model gets older but they don't update this
in their site.

And:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
And: http://www.google.com :-)