Hello,

I did the stupid mistake of accepting a USB modem ALE130 last week from
Bezeq, which of course I found out is not supported by Linux. I just
called them up and the only alternative they offer is the external
ECI 270PR router. (Since I only ordered 500kB connection, I will also
have to buy it, since you can only get an ethernet modem for higher
throughput. In the mind of Bezeq there is no other reason why anybody
would want this modem). Now my question is whether to accept this modem?
Or should I follow the old recommendations of this list and buy a
2nd hand alcatel modem on EBay?

Won't all ethernet modems work if I first initialize them from Windows
and then reboot the computer into Linux and use the initialized connection?

I'm also debating what to do with the USB modem once I get a working
ethernet modem. The EciAdsl driver developers I chatted with last night
offered to take good care of it...

It is really upsetting me that the state monopoly Bezeq behave as if
there are no other operating systems in the world but M$!

Thanks in advance,
Dov