On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:17:35AM -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Not quite happy.  I hope if you had comments on my last note,
> about hard-wiring paths in configure time.  It's really a big
> question for me, where to hard wire paths?  I'm to write a suite

If you can, don't hardwire them at all. If you can't configure time is
the best thing, I think.

> of Python scripts for managing course material here in U of T,
> and I don't want to go through all that autoconf stuff.  Well, I

It's actually quite easy. If you're writing pure python, you can hook
into the python installation process automagically as another option.

> can go by just hard-wiring /etc/mypackage and ~/.mypackage/.

~/.mypackage is reasonable, /etc/mypackage less so, IMHO. What if the
user wants it in /usr/local/etc/ or /opt? autoconf is the way to go.

> > > PS.  Perhaps it's too soon, but: "Everybody, come to Ottawa Linux
> > > Symposium '2004 http://www.linuxsymposium/.  It's a great event".
> >
> > Oh, I'll be there, you can count on it. I decided not to go to
> > linux.conf.au even though my paper was accepted to be extra certain
> > I'll make it to OLS. See you there :-)
>
> Pretty far AU.  So, waiting for you on the reg. desk.

Oh, you're helping ajh and co run it this year? cool!
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org | http://www.livejournal.com/~mulix

"the nucleus of linux oscillates my world" - [EMAIL PROTECTED]