On Monday 10 November 2003 08:25, Tal, Shachar wrote:
> I believe w3c.org has an HTML/XHTML/strict etc. validator online, so this
> can be verified online by users

> > How about starting, through Hamakor, some kind of a rating /
> > certification
> > system for Israeli Web sites to  check if they are GNU/Linux
> > / Open Source
> > friendly.
> >
> > I mean, can be viewed with GNU/Linux tools (like Konqueror,
> > Mozilla etc.)
> > without any special changes.

This is not exactly the same thing. one major problem with W3 validator (and
the people who keep refering to it as a compatibility testing tool ;-) is
that it has a very high Signal/Noise ratio. It complains about a lot of stuff
that browsers today take for granted and make no fuss about. OTOH, FOSS
browsers are not all that superior when it comes down to standard support.
oh, they do try - but at the end of the day you'd find a lot of uses of
perfectly leagal *TML that break on them, and also a lot of pages that will
completly fail any validator but still work reasonably well.

Funny thing is - I'm having the same discussion right now on KDE bugzilla
about this :-)

I think Amichai's idea is very good and I think setting up such a resource
would be a great service to the community at large, but I don't think it can
be automated using W3 validator.

--
Oded